Role title: Campaigns Director
Reports to SDF Director/ BPN Chair
Based currently online, but normally at Sustainable Development Foundation, 5 Baldwin Terrace, London N1 7RU.
The Building Performance Network (BPN) is a not-for-profit activity, currently run as a programme of the Sustainable Development Foundation, but aiming to be an independent, stand-alone organisation. It works to bring together individuals and organisations with an interest in improving building performance in operation, based on integrity and robust data. It operates in all building sectors and BPN membership is open to all.
The BPN has the following key objectives:
- Bring people together with an interest in building performance
- Understand how building performance data is collected and analysed to ensure members have reliable data on which to base their decisions
- Move forward the practice of building performance evaluation (BPE) to further increase its value for the sector
- Share and make members aware of a wide range of studies undertaken in the UK and create a platform for sharing data for additional uses
- Use performance data to influence change in policy, procurement and practice and to move the building performance agenda forward
Currently, the main focus of the BPN is on increasing demand for BPE; this role will focus on the campaigning activities to achieve that aim.
The priority actions for 2021 will be identified at a Members’ meeting in December 2020, but might include:
- Engagement with/ presentations to client groups about the benefits of and need for BPE:
- Social housing (via Good Homes Alliance, National Housing Federation, Suss Homes etc)
- Private/ PRS housing (via House Builders’ Federation/ the Housing Forum etc)
- Retrofit of existing homes (via SuperHomes, National Housing Federation etc)
- Schools (via SEEd, Ashden Let’s go Zero campaign etc)
- Higher education (via EAUC, AUDE etc)
- Other sectors tbc
- Development and management of advocacy and lobbying activities, possibly including:
- Engagement with the Climate Change Committee about incorporating BPE into their targets
- Engagement with BEIS about incorporating BPE into Building Regulations and/or the Building Safety Bill
- Engagement with BEIS about their forthcoming carbon disclosure requirements
- Engagement with RIBA about incorporating BPE into their 2030 Challenge targets
- Engagement with the GLA about the development of their performance disclosure requirements
- Collaboration with others campaigning for BPE eg RIBA, CIBSE, Better Buildings Partnership etc
- Progress reporting to regular management meetings
- Preparing updates for BPN members
- Contribute to BPN networking events
- Contribute to press/PR and other marketing activities about this campaign work.
You will be supported in strategic and campaign development by the BPN Chair and the SDF Director, and on projects and communications by Projects and Communications Associate Laura Morgan Forster
We are looking for a self-starting manager who is enthusiastic about the challenge of developing an innovative campaign programme and recognises the opportunity to shape and influence a whole industry sector.
You will be motivated and enthusiastic with a passion and understanding for buildings and their in use performance and will have:
- A relevant degree and at least 5 years’ relevant work experience
- Experience of working within a small team
- Good knowledge of Building Performance Evaluation
- Strong & broad communication skills
Desirable attributes include:
- Some experience of developing and delivering campaigns
- Good connections within the Building Performance sector
This role is on a free-lance, part-time, flexible basis (approximately 1 day per week) initially for a 12-month period beginning in January 2021. The salary will be approximately £10,000 subject to experience (FTE £50,000).
How to apply
If this sounds like you, please email a CV and a brief covering note or email stating why you would be suited to the role to the Executive Chair, George Martin, email@example.com, by Monday 16th November. We will aim to interview candidates week by the end of November 2020, with the intention of work starting on the 1st January 2021.